Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ekaterinburg for Nina (part 1)


One of the most amazing things about the internet is how it brings people together.  I never, ever thought I would be able to connect with family members scattered through the world.  But, I have!  I have cousins and even a sister that I never knew before.  This post is for Nina.  


1. Ekaterinburg in the summer of 2012. Central pond.

I love this picture!!!  Although, obviously, Ekaterinburg is a large city, the picture reminds me of the Susquehanna River,  which I have lived nearby most of my life.  We do not have a central pond, though.  The mountains in the background, however, are a more dramatic view of the hills I see from my own vista at home.



2. A view of the circus and the TV tower.
Spectacular!   The circus is the dome-shaped building.  I think the water in the background is the Iset River.  What an awesome picture! 
 
3. In Ekaterinburg, in 1918,  the royal family was killed. A little less than 100 years later, at the place of execution, an old hut stood . But in 2000, the site was rebuilt with a grand temple. It is amazing with its magnificence and beauty.


Look at the Russian Orthodox crosses adorning this building!  It really IS majestic and beautiful!  The story of the last days of Nicholas and Alexandra and their family has always enthralled me.  Here is a living reminder of the way the course of history was changed.  

4. In Ekaterinburg, with industry comes developing financial activities. This gives the city a lot of beautiful buildings. The highest (pictured right) is named in honor of the Soviet poet Vladimir Vysotsky. Its height is 150 meters. Not as high as in New York or Dubai, but great for the Siberian town.


This is a wonderful skyline!  I have lived in mostly small towns my whole life.  This skyline rivals many American cities I have seen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment